Zone of 16 IP's

Cricket Liu cricket at acmebw.com
Thu May 4 14:49:53 UTC 2000

> I set up a primary DNS server on linux. I am new to this, but I read a
book
> (DNS and BIND).
> Well, in the examples in the book, is described how to set up a entire
> range.
> zone "249.249.192.in-addr.arpa"; ...
> This means, the range 192.249.249.0, right?
>
> But what, if I have for example only 192.249.249.96 - 192.249.249.111,
mask
> 240?
> In this case the zone file should be "96.249.249.192.in-addr.arpa"? But
when
> I like to add for example 192.249.249.100, then named says,
192.249.249.100
> is outside the zone...
>
> Basically my DNS server works. But not the reverse lookup. Internic
doesn't
> recognize my DNS as a DNS.
>
> I know this is a really newbie question. But I really tried to find the
> answer in the book. If noone have time to help me direct, please tell me a
> good internet link or FAQ link, where I can read more about BIND.

Just read a little further in the book.  The material you want
is in the chapter called "Parenting."

cricket

Acme Byte & Wire
cricket at acmebw.com
www.acmebw.com

Attend the next Internet Software Consortium/Acme Byte & Wire
DNS and BIND class!  See www.acmebw.com/training.htm for
the schedule and to register for upcoming classes.