who hosts my domain name - my own nameserver? mini-isp...

Tim Gardner tgardner at codehorse.com
Wed May 3 15:28:01 UTC 2000

>You may not value redundancy very much; after all, why should you
>care if your mail is
>a little late arriving, right? But think about all of the various
>sites that may be
>trying to *send* that mail. Some of them process hundreds of
>thousands, if not millions
>or tens of millions of messages a day, and I can speak from
>experience that one of the
>biggest headaches in managing a large mail site is all of the mail
>which gets stuck in
>the queue because it cannot be delivered in a timely fashion. And in
>a large percentage
>of cases, this is because the DNS lookups are failing. So please be
>a good net.citizen
>and run a reliable DNS, if at all.

This makes great sense, but as a newbie to DNS, I don't understand
one issue with this.  Suppose I have a mail server and a primary DNS
on the same machine which goes down.  If the secondary DNS is up,
doesn't this still mean that the messages get stuck in the queue?
How is this better than if there was no secondary DNS up?  (I'm just
trying to separate the issues and understand the basics.)

Thanks,
Tim