BIND 8.2.2P5, Windows 2000, and security

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Tue May 2 18:21:33 UTC 2000

"Delmer Harris" <dharris at kcp.com> wrote:

>I am running 8.2.2P5 on Solaris 2.7 in a test setup, trying to support
>Windows 2000 for our server development group.  I have allowed updates
>from the domain controllers and thought all was well.  Now the Windows
>2000 server group tells me I must allow updates from all workstations
>as well.  This goes against my security instincts, as I don't trust all
>the workstations on our network.

The MS default is for each Win2k box to register itself dynamically
in DNS.  This can easily be turned off via the TCP/IP properties
menu.  Individual Win2k workstations do not need to update DNS, and I
would never allow dynamic DNS from workstations unless I were forced
to do so.

I need to do some more testing with Win2k because when I
captured dynamic DNS traces, I did not keep track of which release of
the MS code was being used.  It appears that machines may behave
differently in these two scenarios:

     1) some pre-RTM version of Win2k upgraded to the RTM release
     2) a fresh install of the RTM release.

At least that is what MS has told us.  We have to re-configure our
Win2k test network before I can get some more DNS traces.  Some of
the trace data I have are contradictory.
Barry S. Finkel
Electronics and Computing Technologies Division
9700 South Cass Avenue               Facsimile:+1 (630) 252-9689
Building 221, Room B236              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov