BIND 8.2.2P5, Windows 2000, and security

Delmer Harris dharris at kcp.com
Tue May 2 14:21:23 UTC 2000

My W2K contact says the workstations have to use dynamic updates to support
shares and to allow network browsing.  According to him these are
advertised as services and supported by SRV records added and removed from
DNS using dynamic updates.  I have no information to refute this claim.
Any further information to which you can point me would be valuable.  Much
thanks.

If it really is necessary to allow workstations to update DNS then I think
I will have to delegate a subdomain to W2K.  If the W2K DNS declares itself
a slave for the main domain, and I allow zone transfers from the main
domain's DNS servers, then the W2K server should have all the information
of the main domain but the main domain's DNS servers will not need to ever
know anything about the subdomain.  I would welcome comments on the merits
of this solution.  Thank you.

Tim Maestas <tmaestas at idc.dhs.org> on 05/02/2000 03:13:42 AM