BIND 8.2.2P5, Windows 2000, and security

Delmer Harris dharris at kcp.com
Mon May 1 19:26:37 UTC 2000

I am running 8.2.2P5 on Solaris 2.7 in a test setup, trying to support
Windows

2000 for our server development group.  I have allowed updates from the
domain

controllers and thought all was well.  Now the Windows 2000 server group
tells

me I must allow updates from all workstations as well.  This goes against
my

security instincts, as I don't trust all the workstations on our network.

My questions are to anyone who has tried to support Windows 2000 from a
Un*x

DNS.

Do I really need to allow every workstation to update DNS?

If I do, what would I gain by creating a subdomain for Windows 2000 and
letting

the server group maintain the DNS for that subdomain.  I think I would
still

have all those entries propagated to my DNS servers.

Thanks.