Which method is better (Re: Newbie Question)

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon May 1 14:43:44 UTC 2000

In article <avdqgs8idvl4i7lliflntacsj9mal065nt at 4ax.com>,
 <Tom.Carroll at uunet.uu.net> wrote:
>Which method is best or at least better for descriptive purposes???
>
>mydomain.com.		A		192.168.0.1
>www.mydomain.com.	A		192.168.0.1
>
>or...
>
>mydomain.com.		A		192.168.0.1
>www.mydomain.com.	CNAME		mydomain.com.
>
>or
>
>mydomain.com.		A		192.168.0.1
>www			IN CNAME	mydomain.com.

I prefer the 2nd or 3rd -- my recommendation is to use CNAMEs whenever
they're allowed by the specification.

There's essentially no difference between the 2nd and 3rd -- whether to put
the "IN" class designator in your files is mainly a matter of style, since
it's the default class.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA