DNS update

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon May 1 14:39:34 UTC 2000

In article <8efo46$lmq$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <2mikelee at my-deja.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I registered a domain name and got a static ip from my isp but my isp
>refuse to update the dns with my domain name unless I change to a more
>expensive plan. Is there have a way to update the external dns with my
>domain name and static ip without through the isp ? Thank you in
>advance for your help !!!

There are inexpensive DNS providers, as well as granitecanyon.com which is
free, which can map your domain name to your static IP address.

But if you're talking about *reverse* DNS, that requires the cooperation of
your ISP.  But it's generally not critical that the reverse DNS entry match
your forward entry.  The ISP should have a name in their own domain that
also maps to your address, and that's sufficient.  There's nothing wrong
with having two A records point to the same IP address, and the PTR record
only needs to point to one of them.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA