Migrating DNS from Solaris to Linux.....

dshuff at my-deja.com dshuff at my-deja.com
Wed May 31 14:07:05 UTC 2000

At work I am responsible for migrating our DHCP and DNS servers over to
Linux from Windows NT and Solaris respectively.  My question centers
around the actual method used to bring up the new Linux DNS server and
retiring the Solaris server while maintaining DNS resolutions.  When I
bring the new server online, can I just copy over all the zone files and
the named.conf file to the new server and start it that way or do I need
to bring up the new server as a slave to the first and then do a zone
transfer.??  If the latter is more appropriate, how do I change the new
server from a slave to a master after I take the old server offline.??
We would eventually like to end up with two Linux servers running DNS
as a master and slave.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Oh, the OS's are Solaris 7 and Redhat 6.2 running bind 8.2.2.

-thanks

-donito

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.