20 domains on 1 server

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Wed May 31 14:30:02 UTC 2000

In article <959726546.4832.0.pluto.d4ee69f1 at news.demon.nl>,
Oldserver <marc at oldserver.demon.nl> wrote:
>Very basic questions, which I cannot find an answer to in the O'Reilly
>Book.
>
>I am setting up DNS for some 20 domains on one server, which is going ot
>do everything: dns, mail and web.
>
>1. I see others do this as follows (for each domain):
>
>@     IN A     10.10.10.10
>mail   IN A     10.10.10.10
>www IN A     10.10.10.10
>
>Now if my server is marc.venster.net, it could also be done thus (except
>in the zone for venster.net of course):
>
>@    IN CNAME marc.venster.net.

This is not valid, because it violates the rule against "CNAME and other
data".  Either a name is an alias or it has its own records, it can't be
both.  Since @ has to have SOA and NS records, it can't be an alias.

>mail  IN A       marc.venster.net.

I think you meant to make this a CNAME, not an A record.

You can use CNAMEs for everything but the @ record, so you could do:

@ IN A 10.10.10.10
mail IN CNAME @
www  IN CNAME @

>2. All the zone files (or nearly all) will be identical. What do I do to
>keep it "clean"? Copy the file 20 times to the different names or link
>them with ln -s? Last option would be easiest in case a change is needed
>some time. I understand the named.conf want them all listed. Or can I tell
>it that e.g. db.basic is the zone file for all domains, like this:

Yes, you can use the same file for all of them.  Just make sure you use
relative domain names throughout, as in the above example.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Burlington, MA