Couple things(PTR and Cache)

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Mar 23 16:52:25 UTC 2000

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 05:07:32PM -0500, Robert Everland III wrote:
> 	I am having problems with PTR can anyone give me a sample how they did
> thiers with multiple domains. Also if I run a Bind 8 server can it also be
> my DNS server to resolve address for the entire net. I know Microsoft DNS
> can do that. I can have it as my primary DNS and at the same time it can be
> my computer's DNS server. Can anyone tell me if Bind 8 does this.
>
> Robert Everland III
> Network Administrator
> Orlando.com

Of course BIND can do all of this.  It is the reference implementation
for DNS.

If you have multiple domains sharing a single network, then just
include the different hosts in the same ZZ.YY.XX.in-addr.arpa zone
file:

15		IN  PTR		wais.easterbunny.org
26		IN  PTR		gopher.santaclaus.org
31		IN  PTR		archie.rainman.org

If you have multiple domains on multiple networks, use a separate zone
file for each separately identifiable network:  e.g., 10.14.28.0/24
gets 28.14.10.in-addr.arpa; and 192.168.84.0/24 gets
84.168.192.in-addr.arpa.

I don't quite understand your last, though.  It is almost always the
case [except in the rare instance of stealth primaries] that a
"primary" or "master" DNS server is one of the DNS servers for the
computers in its domain.

Fair 'nuff?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B