modifying bind to do weighted round-robin

Jay C Austad JCA at BigCharts.com
Wed Mar 22 23:20:42 UTC 2000

I really need to get bind to do weighted round-robin.  I attempted to put lines like the following in:

www	IN	A	10.2.2.2
www	IN	A	10.2.2.2
www	IN	A	10.2.2.2
www	IN 	A	10.1.1.1

to send 75% of my traffic to 10.2.2.2, and the other 25% to 10.1.1.1 as a test.  However, when I query the test machine I am running this on, I still get roughly a 50/50 distribution.

I assume there is code that removes duplicates.  I need to either remove that code, or modify the code that rotates the list of ip's after each query.

For example, here's what I want to see when doing nslookups against it, and it would need to work with more than just 2 ip's:

Addresses:  10.2.2.2, 10.1.1.1
Addresses:  10.2.2.2, 10.1.1.1
Addresses:  10.2.2.2, 10.1.1.1
Addresses:  10.1.1.1, 10.2.2.2
Addresses:  10.2.2.2, 10.1.1.1
Addresses:  10.2.2.2, 10.1.1.1
Addresses:  10.2.2.2, 10.1.1.1
Addresses:  10.1.1.1, 10.2.2.2
Addresses:  10.2.2.2, 10.1.1.1
Addresses:  10.2.2.2, 10.1.1.1

How would I go about doing this?  Has anyone done it yet?  Where in the code would I start looking?

Even better would be the above mod, but instead of having to enter multiple lines for each ip, be able to do the following:

www	IN	A	10.2.2.2		3
www	IN	A	10.1.1.1		1

Jay Austad
Network Administrator