Ignoring unqualified MX's ?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Mar 22 18:25:59 UTC 2000

In article <20000322100845.B22095 at tfj.rnd.uni-c.dk>,
torben fjerdingstad  <unitfj-bind at tfj.rnd.uni-c.dk> wrote:
>On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 09:28:08AM -0700, M.Ashcraft at epixtech.com wrote:
>> Barry Margolin wrote:

>> >I know of no way to make BIND ignore it.  Maybe there's some way to make
>> >your mailer ignore it, though.
>>
>> Sendmail 8.9 /etc/mail/access add the line
>>
>> internet.net   DISCARD
>
>I use qmail, the mentioned customer is using PMDF (as far I remember).

I'm not sure why that MX record is causing you problems, anyway.  It points
to the name localhost in the root domain, but there is no such name.  Why
is your mailer trying to send it to localhost.yourdomain?

Your subject line refers to "unqualified" names, but the DNS protocol
doesn't actually have such a thing.  Name qualification is done by the user
interface -- when names are transmitted in the DNS wire protocol, they're
always fully qualified.  The "host" command always displays fully-qualified
names, but leaves off the final "." to correspond with the usual way that
people type domain names.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com