dns setup help

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Mar 22 16:41:35 UTC 2000

In article <sdfn0kpulul184 at corp.supernews.com>,
Salvador Gil <sgil at profsol.com> wrote:
> I am installing dns server i have a windows nt sbs 4.5 server running
>exchanger server ,i have my dsl provider run dns for me but i am setting up
>my own i configure my dns server but i don't quite understand how it is
>activated on the web do i have to register it with the internic as i heard

If you want everyone to go to your nameserver to look up names in your
domain, you have to register it.  Otherwise, how do you think anyone would
know that your nameserver exists?

>off or just let it run and tested also do i have to enter all the computers
>in my network using the dns server as host or just leave it the way it is.

If you want to be able to look up the computers on your network by name,
you need to enter them in DNS (since this is the BIND newsgroup, I assume
you're running BIND, not Microsoft DNS -- the latter is able to translate
DNS into WINS, so you may not need to enter the workstations).

>In writting the mx record for exchange i had my dsl provider write the
>record if i am now using my dns server should i just point exchange to my
>tcp/ip address and configure the mx record any response is appreciated
>thanks .

You need your MX record to point to your Exchange server.

Since your DSL provider is willing to run DNS for you, and you obviously
don't know what you're doing, why are you wasting your time and energy on
this?

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com