name server was not running from ndc?

Mark Drummond drummond-m at rmc.ca
Tue Mar 21 19:52:07 UTC 2000

I just installed the latest BIND on 3 SPARCstation 5's. They are all
basically identical, all running Solaris 7, 2GB disks, 128MB of RAM.
BIND was built with gcc 2.8.1 on all machines.

The first two machines run fine, in particular, using ndc to control the
daemon works fine.

On the third machine, doing an `ndc start` gets me:

ndc: error: name server has not started (yet?)

but yes the daemon has started. This third machine is a secondary for
over 100 domains so perhaps it is just slow to load?

trying to an ndc restart gets me:

ndc: error: name server was not running (warning only)

and a second instance of named gets fired up.

Trying to do an ndc reload gets me:

ndc: error: ctl_client: evConnect(fd 3): No such file or directory
ndc: error: cannot connect to command channel (/usr/local/etc/ndc)

ndc stop gets me:

ndc: error: ctl_client: evConnect(fd 3): No such file or directory
ndc: error: cannot connect to command channel (/usr/local/etc/ndc)

And indeed there is no /usr/local/etc/ndc. I guess the lack of this file
is what is causing the commands to fail? But why would the file not be
created? Is this also becuase the machine is a secondary for so many
domains and named takes a long time to load?

I'm sure I did not do anything differantly on this third machine but you
never know I guess. Any ideas?

Mark Drummond|ICQ#19153754|mailto:mark.drummond at rmc.ca
UNIX System Administrator|Royal Military College of Canada
The Kingston Linux Users Group|http://signals.rmc.ca/klug/
Saving the World ... One CPU at a Time