resolv local test nodes, if not the forw

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Mar 20 22:57:07 UTC 2000

edwede at my-deja.com wrote:

> i have local test machines i want to resolve. If the lookup is a node
> not on that list, i want it to forward to the main name server.
>
> so...
>
> testbox.domainxyz.com     is in my local dns.
> prodnode.domainxyz.com    is on the company dns.
>
> both are on the same domain.
> what config do i need to be able to forward the request if my local dns
> does not find for example prodnode?
>
> i have tried forwarders and forward only, but guess i don't know exactly
> what to do

As Barry suggested, you could create separate zones for those names. The
"views" mechanism, as described in the _DNS_and_BIND_ book, seems like it
should be able to do what you want, in a more elegant and maintainable way.
BIND 9, available around May or later (last I heard), is implementing
something called"views", but it remains to be seen how closely these
"views" correspond to what has been described in the book.

- Kevin