Root name servers not working in BIND 8.2?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Mar 17 20:44:11 UTC 2000

In article <38d253bf.32122880 at 53.3.61.11>,
Andre Schneickert <Andre.Schneickert at man.adtranz.de> wrote:
>I recently upgraded a BIND 8.1.x server to BIND 8.2.2.
>Since then, the server is not able to query hosts via the internal
>root name servers, queries for local zones are working.
>
>The root name server hint zone is configured correctly, but seems not
>to be loaded by the server on startup.
>
>I took a look at the named.dump and found this:
>
>; --- Hints ---
>$ORIGIN .
>.       3600000 IN      NS      demans01.adtranz.com.   ;Cl=0 LAME=515
>        3600000 IN      NS      demans02.adtranz.com.   ;Cl=0 LAME=515
>$ORIGIN adtranz.com.
>demans02        3600000 IN      A       53.191.114.42   ;NT=768 Cl=0
>demans01        3600000 IN      A       53.191.114.41   ;NT=517 Cl=0
>
>Why does it declare my root name servers as lame?
>
>Using forwarder entries to my root name servers instead works, but I
>would like to use the hint zone instead of forwarders.

Are your root servers really configured as root servers?  I.e. when you do:

dig . ns @53.191.114.42 +norecurse

does it return a list of servers that includes itself?  The first thing
that BIND does when it starts up is perform a query like that to get the
current list of root servers -- the hints file is just used as a starting
point.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com