bind-8.2.2-p5 goes catatonic

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven asmodai at bart.nl
Fri Mar 17 20:28:44 UTC 2000

-On [20000316 18:15], Dave Wreski (dave at nic.com) wrote:

>Hi all.  A month or two ago I reported a problem with bind-8.2.2-p5
>running on Solaris 2.6 where it becomes unable to resolve even common
>domains such as yahoo.com.
>
>When trying to resolve www.yahoo.com, it appears to timeout, and report
>server failed.  Other domains that are not currently in the database
>are capable of being resolved, as are other common domains such as
>microsoft.com.  After restarting named, it works fine.

I had a slight variantion on this problem, and what worked for me, using
FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE, was to tweak the sysctl knob of maxfiles to double
the size.

Try it.

--
Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven          Network- and systemadministrator
<asmodai at bart.nl>                      VIA NET.WORKS The Netherlands