bind8, TTL-Message

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Mar 17 20:25:05 UTC 2000

Argh!  How can we stop people from asking this same question EVERY SINGLE
DAY?  This is not a write-only newsgroup, you should read it first.
Someone asked this same question yesterday, and I told him to read the
answer that was posted when someone asked the question a day or two before
that.

But I'll take pity on you and answer it again.

In article <8at0tl$7dn$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,
 <friedrich_kirsch at my-deja.com> wrote:
>Hi,
>Every time I load a zone, I recieve this message:
>Zone "muc.han" (file muc/muc.han): No default TTL set using SOA minimum
>instead
>As far I can see, the TTL-time is set. Here is the SOA-Record of my
>zone:
>@ IN SOA ns1.muc.han. root.ns1.muc.han. (
>200003170 ; Serial
>8H ; Refresh
>2H ; Retry
>1W ; Expire
>2D) ; Minimum TTL
>How can I set a default-TTL other than in the SOA-Record?

In BIND 8.2 the default TTL is set with a line that looks like:

$TTL 2D

Since you don't have such a line, it's reverting to the old behavior and
using the Minimum field from the SOA record, just like the message says.

This is on the www.isc.org web site, on the Configuration File Hints page.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com