Secondary always queries Primary??

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Fri Mar 17 20:14:48 UTC 2000

In article <38D1D9C1.630F9DC9 at fastnet.bc.ca>,
Ian Dobson  <ian at fastnet.bc.ca> wrote:
>How do I sto the secondary DNS from always doing a query to the primary
>DNS when a client makes a request to the secondary?

The only time this should happen is if the zone is expired on the
secondary.  If it receives a query on a zone that has expired, it will try
to perform a zone transfer from the primary to get itself back in sync.

To prevent this from happening prematurely, make sure the Expire time in
your SOA period is much longer than the Refresh time -- I recommend at
least a week.

If your expire time is appropriate, make sure that zone transfers are
working properly.  Check the log on the secondary to see if it's getting
errors when it tries to transfer the zone.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com