named only lintening on 127.0.0.0 interface

dhammanet dhammanet at taki.tera-byte.com
Fri Mar 17 09:27:05 UTC 2000

On 16 Mar 2000, Fabio Aleixo Santos wrote:

> I am setting up a secondary DNS server  on a linux slackware 3.5 box with
> kernel 2.0.36.
> I have other machine running OK as primary dns,  but the in the secondary it
> seems that the named is only listening to the local loopback interface.
<snip>
> Also an nslookup from a session on the machine works great with 127.0.0.1 as
> server , but when you specify server as being other interface
> (200.210.128.2)  it issues the following message :
>
> " *** stjames.fastec.com.br can't find alol.com.br: No response from server
> "

you forgot zone "128.210.200.in-addr.arpa" in named.conf.  also be sure to
add your secondary dns to the db files on your primary dns, i.e.
" IN NS stjames"

add to named.conf :

zone "128.210.200.in-addr.arpa" {
	type slave;
	file "200.210.128.db";
	masters { 200.210.128.1; };
};

also, _dns and bind_ from o'reilly says to just copy your 127.0.0.db from
the primary, nothing about changing it, but i don't know if this makes a
difference.

-atta