DNS for several different organisations

Harri harri.enlund at tietoenator.com
Fri Mar 17 06:19:48 UTC 2000

I have BIND 4.8.3 in my primary DNS-server. Doesn't it support
"allow-query-method"? A couple of months ago I tried to update BIND-version
to which comes with HP-UX 10.20, I recall it was 4.9.3. After I'd updated
the version some subdomain secondary DNS-servers failed to get
DNS-information from main-domain-server. Also zone-file-transfers between
subdomain-servers and primary-server started to fail. My primary is a
forwarder for subdomain-servers.

Our subdomain DNS-servers are from wide variety of different operating
systems and BIND-versions and I had to down-date my primary DNS-server back
to 4.8.3 in order to get everything functioning again.

Do you think BIND 8 works better with different BIND-versions than 4.9.3? At
least 4.8.3-version seems to work ok.