error messages?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Mar 16 23:12:31 UTC 2000

In article <3.0.6.32.20000316144251.00811d10 at tmx.com.ni>,
Ramon Alvarez Rayo  <ralvarez at tmx.com.ni> wrote:
>hello,
>
>what is mean this messages ?
>
>Mar 16 10:22:48 ns named[1906]: primario/253.rev: WARNING SOA expire value
>is le
>ss than refresh + 10 * retry (3600000 < (10800 + 10 * 1209600))  =20

It seems self-explanatory to me.  In the file primario/253.rev, there's an
SOA record that has refresh = 10800, retry=1209600, and expire=3600000.
The software developers recommend that a zone not expire until at least 10
retries have been performed, and these settings don't allow that.

BTW, usually people set retry to *less* than the refresh time.  When you
get an error performing a zone transfer, it often means that the
administrator is in the midst of changing something.  You then want to pick
up the changes quickly once the primary server comes back.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com