DNS on Solaris

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Thu Mar 16 22:41:57 UTC 2000

On Tue, Feb 22, 2000 at 11:51:36AM +0000, Ian Phillipps wrote:
> IMHO the problem is with the inflexibility of the BIND build mechanism.
> It appears that you can't easily change things like the root of the
> install tree (this is the first package I've met recently that has this
> problem). I decided that hacking the makefiles would be too long and
> error-prone.

It's flexible, OK.  It's just rather odd.

In directory src/port/<your-system-type>/, there is a file named
Makefile.set - and perhaps several of them, containing different
values.  These values control the locations of everything.  But heed
the warnings in other messages.

Make sure that you have the values you want BEFORE you run:
	make clean
	make depend
	make all
	make install
NOTE: there is also a variable, DESTDIR, that does not appear in the
Makefile.set file.  If you set that before running anything, then the
files will be installed as if DESTDIR were the root.

Note that these variables are used to modify the Makefiles themselves.
If you need to change them, you need to do all of the steps above all
over again.

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B