HELP: Reverse (PTR) lookup problems on domain name.

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Mar 15 18:33:26 UTC 2000

In article <F148C821ACB6D111AB4000A0249BC4CD5D1A91 at mail.lanacom.com>,
Dan Herold  <drh at backweb.com> wrote:
>If anyone could provide me with some clues as to why reverse lookups on
>"mail.backweb.com" and "backweb.com" are failing, I would most appreciative.
>Are we missing a switch somewhere in BIND that enables this option?

Because PTR records are normally only put on reverse entries.  There's no
reason for their to be PTR records on mail.backweb.com or backweb.com.

>The output I'm expecting when performing a PTR lookup on our backweb.com
>domain is something similar to what I see if I perform the same query on
>another domain, such as symantec.com:
>
>> symantec.com
>Server:  ns.backweb.com
>Address:  209.167.90.10
>
>symantec.com
>        origin = ns1.symantec.com
>        mail addr = domain.symantec.com
>        serial = 2000031301
>        refresh = 10800 (3 hours)
>        retry   = 3600 (1 hour)
>        expire  = 604800 (7 days)
>        minimum ttl = 21600 (6 hours)
>
>Again, thank you for any help anyone may be able to offer.
>.drh

I don't see the problem.  That didn't return a PTR record, either.  Newer
versions of BIND include the SOA record in a failing response -- it's part
of the negative caching protocol.  Older versions just return an empty
response.  If you upgrade ns.backweb.com to a recent version of BIND you'll
get an answer like that.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com