DNS cache time to live

Mark.Andrews at nominum.com Mark.Andrews at nominum.com
Mon Mar 13 22:53:07 UTC 2000

	All DNS records have a Time To Live (TTL) field.  This specifies
	the maximum time for how long a record will live in a cache.

	On the master server records either have an explict TTL or inherit
	it from the SOA minimum field or the TTL directive.

	e.g.
		example	3600	IN	A	10.0.0.1

		or

		$TTL 3600
		example		IN	A	10.0.0.1

	In general the old record should disappear after SOA refresh +
	TTL.  The SOA refresh is how long it should take the slaves to
	update their copy of the zone.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc. / Internet Software Consortium
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at nominum.com