Looking for multi-customer DNS system for an ISP

Jonathan Abbey jonabbey at arlut.utexas.edu
Mon Mar 13 21:35:15 UTC 2000

In article <8a4vh5$heo at chronicle.concentric.net>,
CHANGE username to westes <junkmail at uscsw.com> wrote:
| I'm looking for a web-driven application that would let customers of an ISP
| configure and manage all domains that they own.   The configuration
| information, once written, would then be fed to either bind, or to some
| custom software that can act as a DNS server for multiple, independently
| configured domains.
|
| Does such code exist either in the public domain, or as a commercial
| product.   If some vendor has implemented such an idea as a consulting
| project and has rights to the code I might be interested in purchasing it.
| Any references to existing implementations are appreciated.

We've developed a GPL'ed metadirectory system (Ganymede) that is
designed to work in just this way.  It is actually an extremely
customizable and extensible system, and it does not come out of the
box configured to handle multiple-domain DNS administration, but we
and others are working on implementing support for such within it.

Ganymede is not web based, generally. The main client is actually
Java-based with an explorer-style tree and windows interface, but it
does support a very detailed system of delegated administration,
simultaneous editing with a multi-threaded server and complete
transaction support.  Back-end builds are supported using an
asynchronous thread scheduler that allows changes to be propagated to
your network environment in bulk while other users continue to work
with the system to browse the database and to make changes.

You can read about it at http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/gash2.

Jonathan Abbey 				              jonabbey at arlut.utexas.edu
Applied Research Laboratories                 The University of Texas at Austin
Ganymede, a GPL'ed metadirectory for UNIX     http://www.arlut.utexas.edu/gash2