selective forwarding ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Mar 13 18:55:48 UTC 2000

I think you are confusing matters by calling the forwarder a "root server". If
you just want to forward by default to your firewall, and selectively forward
certain zones to internal servers (doesn't matter whether they are
"root" servers or not), then just use "forward only" in your options
statement, and then create zones of type "forward" for the ones you want to
forward internally. The per-zone forward overrides the options-statement
forward.

But you may want to consider an alternative: define the zones as "slave" or
"stub" instead, and then cancel forwarding for all subzones of those zones by
using the "forwarders {}" syntax. That way you'll be using iterative queries
and allowing for greater optimization/resiliency of your internal
server/server interactions (since iterative querying allows RTT tracking and
preference).

- Kevin