Eliminating the "www" Portion of a URL

Peter Radcliffe 26$10$f3i99le at pir.net
Mon Mar 13 17:10:26 UTC 2000

Barry Margolin  <barmar at bbnplanet.com> probably said:
>Cricket Liu <cricket at acmebw.com> wrote:
>>I imagine there are still some misguided mailers out there that use
>>the address record for a domain name instead of the MX records
>>to determine where to deliver the mail.
>
>This is a common speculation, but does anyone know of an actual mailer like
>this?  The only thing I can think of is the version of sendmail on SunOS
>4.1.x; those systems came with sendmail and sendmail.mx, and you were

Until fairly recently one of my hosts was a name server for
verylargedomain.  One random mail server kept trying to send mail
through that name server, eventually I tracked down why.  They were
using some extremely old mailserver package (unfortunately I don't
remember the name) on a Mac that would try to send mail to _any_
record for a domain - A, MX, NS, etc.

This was still happening 6 months ago when that NS record went
away. Really broken things are still out there.

P.

pir                  pir at pir.net                    pir at net.tufts.edu