Eliminating the "www" Portion of a URL

Johnno johnno at nospam.casebook.org
Mon Mar 13 10:44:01 UTC 2000

Paul Scott <pscott at edencomputers.com> wrote:

> How can I setup my zone records for each of the domains that I host so that
> the "www" portion of an address does not need to be entered when browsing
> a site's URL?  I have tried and tried to get this functionality, but cannot
> seem to figure it out.  It seems that it would be as simple as the
> following:
>
> domain.com.    IN    A 216.132.25.7
>
> www            IN    A 216.132.15.11
> domain.com     IN CNAME www
>
> But this does not work, since the www address is an NT server running IIS
> and domain.com. is already pointing to 216.132.25.7 (the primary DNS
> server).

Point an A record for the root domain to the IP address.

I am not familiar with NT's DNS server, but with BIND, you'd do something
like this:

@        IN    A    216.132.15.11

or

domain.com.        IN    A    216.132.15.11

I always use relative references rather than qualifying the domain name on
the left.

Be careful using CNAMEs; they're illegal in some instances.

--
Johnno (johnno at nospam.casebook.org)
http://usrwww.optusnet.com.au/~japp