Buffer overflow reported by sscan

James Scott Boorn jboorn at seatab.com
Thu Mar 9 22:34:14 UTC 2000

I'm a new bind admin and while learning about security I ran sscan
(http://www.ben2.ucla.edu/~jsbach/) against my server. It reported :
--<[ *VULN*: localhost: linux bind/iquery remote buffer overflowÿÿÿÿ

and in /var/log/messages I found the following:
Mar  9 14:03:02 3gig modprobe: can't locate module üôÿ¿?

I am running redhat linux 6.0 with bind upgraded to the vendor supplied
rpm (bind-8.2.2_P3-1) `named -v` shows:
named 8.2.2-P3 Thu Nov 11 00:04:50 EST 1999

root at porky.devel.redhat.com:/usr/src/bs/BUILD/bind-8.2.2_P3/src/bin/named

I downloaded the latest source from www.isc.org compiled and replaced
the named binary and reran sscan with the same results.

Is this a known problem?  I was not able to find any more info about it
on the web.

Thanks