dig doesn't seem to honour search/domain in /etc/resolv.conf

Yusuf Goolamabbas yusufg at outblaze.com
Thu Mar 9 05:40:05 UTC 2000

I had always used dig with FQDN's and for once I tried resolving a
partial name expecting dig to append the domain listed in
/etc/resolv.conf. dig would always return the following

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.                       1D IN SOA       A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET. hostmaster.internic.NET. (
                                        2000030800      ; serial
                                        30M             ; refresh
                                        15M             ; retry
                                        1W              ; expiry
                                        1D )            ; minimum

whereas nslookup would do the right thing. Is this expected behaviour
or is this something I have to tweak to get it right

Regards, Yusuf

--
Yusuf Goolamabbas
yusufg at outblaze.com