How to set up a top domain server ?

Robbert Muller root at cam031312.student.utwente.nl
Wed Mar 8 21:51:48 UTC 2000

Hi,

We have some seperate private networks which are interconnected. We're trying to
get a topdomain to work for these networks. We want to use .foo (figured it
wasn't in use). Our seperate networks will be managing their own domains like
*.bar.foo. Because of technical reasons we don't want every domain to be
mirrored on one host. Now the problem: We could use seperate forward entries in
the named.conf, but we would like to have them in a single resolve file. One
that would contain entries like:
bar.foo.            3600000  IN  NS    ns.bar.foo.
ns.bar.foo.         3600000      A     10.0.0.1
pizza.foo.          3600000  IN  NS    ns.pizza.foo.
ns.pizza.foo.       3600000      A     10.1.0.1

These host would be the responsible nameservers for their subdomains.

our private networks are 10.(something).* :-)
Yes, everone has a B-class network.

How would we configure something like this in bind? Or what nameserver do the
normal top-domains use to achieve such behaviour?

thanks in advance.

--
Robbert Muller

mjrider at writeme dot com   | Never let a luser on your console.
uin: 9659330              | Because that means they're in your room.
PGP-key 0x2F634245        | finger mjrider at mjrider.student.utwente.nl