How to restart logging

Mathias Körber mathias at koerber.org
Wed Mar 8 08:39:02 UTC 2000

On 7 Mar 2000 09:09:57 -0800, Morris Jones <mojo at whiteoaks.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 7 Mar 2000, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
>
>> Am 07.03.2000 um 17:11:14 +0800 schrieb Mathias Koerber folgendes:
>>
>> > Better:
>> >
>> > % mv /var/log/named.log /var/log/named.log.old
>> > % ndc reload
>
>[...]
>
>> The whole point was about NOT having to restart named...
>
>No Ralf, he's right.  Reload != restart.  This is the good solution.
>
>Reload doesn't lose the cache like a restart would.

Exactly. I even petitioned ISC to add a new ndc command which would
*only* reopen the logfiles, w/o rereading the config file (and
any zones), which would be even faster. A
	# ndc reload
can take wuite some time on a system with many authoritative zones.

I hope that will make it into BIND 9...

--
Mathias Koerber
mathias at koerber.org