Reject of W2K gc._msdcs...

Robert Weber Robert.Weber at Colorado.EDU
Mon Mar 6 18:14:03 UTC 2000

On this issue,  Is there any way to make an a record "Un-removable" in a
dynamic zone.  The reason I ask is were trying to set up DDNS on Solaris
Running bind 8.2.2-p5, with a isc DHCP server also running on Solaris,
and we need our Active directory servers, and our major unix servers to
keep their entries in DNS even if some bozo professor tries to join the
domain with a conflicting name.  Here's our attempted setup:

			OurDomain.edu
			/          \
		       /            \
		      /              \
		     /                \
          cs.OurDomain.edu 	 ad.OurDomain.edu

We have always had a cs sub-domain which we have developed tools to make
hostnames unique across the primary domain and the sub-domain(ie if there
is a machine cplusplus.cs.OurDomain.edu there is no machine
cplusplus.OurDomain.edu.)  With the Active Directory stuff we'd like to at
least take some of our most important servers and propagate them to the
ad.OurDomain.edu subdomain to "reserve" those names to avoid confusion.
for instance {ns1,news,mail}.OurDomain.edu shouldn't be w2k laptops that
float around the campus but should always point to our Unix Servers.  With
the way ddns is set up I don't see any way to make sure those names aren't
stolen by some W2k box who asks the DHCP server for them.  This may not be
a bind issue and I should take it up with the DHCP server, but that's not
my machine :P.  (campus politics...)

						Robert Weber
						University of Colorado
						UnixOps