Newbie with MX problem

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Mar 6 15:50:31 UTC 2000

In article <20000306101348.D24417 at bind.org>, Leo Vegoda  <leo at bind.org> wrote:
>Hi,
>
>On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 10:03:56PM +0000, in message
><38c1861a.1357908379 at news>, mmkiely at home.com (mmkiely at home.com) wrote:
>Re: Newbie with MX problem
>> I've created a new virtual web host
>> www.columbiaFSC.mmwebserver.com
>>
>> When I try to send an email to the domain I get the following message.
>>
>>    ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
>> <cfsc at columbiaFSC.mmwebserver.com>
>>
>>    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>> 553 columbiafsc.mmwebserver.com. config error: mail loops back to me
>> (MX problem?)
>> 554 <cfsc at columbiaFSC.mmwebserver.com>... Local configuration error
>
>The mail server is refusing to relay mail for you - have you
>configured the mail relay?

That's not what it means.  It means that he hasn't added
columbiafsc.mmwebserver.com to his Cw list, which lists the domains that
mail should be delivered locally for.

However, his backup MX host, announce.com, needs their domain added to its
relay list:

% telnet announce.com smtp
Trying 208.242.120.2...
Connected to announce.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 announce.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.1/8.9.1; Mon, 6 Mar 2000 10:48:34 -0500
helo tools.sys.gtei.net
250 announce.com Hello tools.sys.gtei.net [4.2.32.97], pleased to meet you
mail from:<barmar at bbnplanet.com>
250 <barmar at bbnplanet.com>... Sender ok
rcpt to:<cfsc at columbiaFSC.mmwebserver.com>
550 <cfsc at columbiaFSC.mmwebserver.com>... Relaying denied
quit
221 announce.com closing connection

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com