subdomain OK domain fail, help

Thor Kottelin thor at anta.net
Mon Mar 6 09:42:32 UTC 2000

BIND Users Mailing List wrote:

> From: Carlos Reed <creed at fse.ulaval.ca>

> Our intranet domain is  " intradom".
>
> then "intradom"  delegated  "reg03.intradom"  to us.

> Our subdomain works fine, but as soon as I try to resolve a name from
> our
> top domain "intradom" it fails.

This probably happens because neither your server nor the root servers
know about such a domain. reg03.intradom works because your servers are
authoritative for it themselves - they don't need to ask the root servers.

> a) if  "intradom" doesn't exist in the top domains "."  who in the world
>
>     my sub domain is going to know about my domain ?
> b) any hints in how to arrange my /etc/named.conf and /or  the named.ca
> ?, in order
>     to make this work

Maybe you could run secondaries for "intradom."?

Thor

--
If you send me email, please use PGP or OpenPGP.
My public keys can be downloaded from key servers.