Public / Private zones - assistance please

Tilman Schmidt Tilman.Schmidt at sema.de
Fri Mar 3 09:06:57 UTC 2000

At 23:09 02.03.00 +0000, Bruce Schuck wrote:
>Having 2 servers, where the outside server knows nothing of
>the internal 10.0.0.0 network doesn't cut the mustard.
>
>I now have an internet email server.  Call it smtp.mydomain.com.  It
>also happens to be the external DNS server.  But I have two machines
>inside the firewall from which users will really get and send their
>email.  [...] Now these are behind the firewall and therefore I don't
>need their names to be advertised to the internet in general, but I
>need for the internet email server to be able to look them up for
>forwarding mail inside my domain.

No problem. Just configure /etc/resolv.conf on smtp.mydomain.com not
to use the DNS server running on the same machine, but the internal
DNS server instead. Just because a machine is running a BIND in some
corner doesn't mean it has to use it for its own DNS lookups too.

--
Tilman Schmidt          E-Mail: Tilman.Schmidt at sema.de (office)
Sema Group Koeln, Germany       tilman at schmidt.bn.uunet.de (private)