Primary DNS failover

Michael Voight mvoight at cisco.com
Fri Mar 3 01:18:34 UTC 2000

Microsoft uses multimaster. (I think that's the name)
Obviously, not being standards based, you can't mix it with a UNIX
primary for the same domain.

At least one product uses database replication.

I think someone needs to come up with a standard and implement it.
With DDNS, it would be especially useful. Perhaps when the DHCP failover
RFC is finalized, we can get those people to work on DNS. :)

In BIND, it is rather simple to turn a secondary into a primary.
When IXFR is working, then it is easy for the secondary to be update.
With scripting to check to see if the primary is up or down. it might be
possible to have a new primary up in seconds (under a minute).

I am in favor of having the protocol support failover.

Michael Voight
Cisco TAC