Suppressing duplicate notify

Henri J. Schlereth henris at neandertal.org
Thu Mar 2 20:53:34 UTC 2000

>     Henri> @	IN	SOA	        neandertal.org.	hostmaster.neandertal.org.
>     Henri> 		IN	NS	kesrith.neandertal.org.
>     Henri>  		IN	NS	shonjir.neandertal.org.
>
> The MNAME field of the SOA record is wrong: the master name server
> isn't "neandertal.org". [There's no A record for that name in your
> zone file.] So the real master server is sending NOTIFYs to
> kesrith.neandertal.org and shonjir.neandertal.org (all of the zones NS
> records *except* the one listed in the SOA record's MNAME). One of
> those name servers is probably the master server and this is confusing
> that name server. I thought there was a specific error message when a
> name server tried to send a NOTIFY message to itself. Oh well.

That is odd, since kesrith is the master and I dont get complaints
until I add shonjir(the slave's NS). I will change the SOA contents and
re-try this. I'll get back with more details.

Thanks,
Henri

"All data leaves a trail. The search for data leaves a trail.
The erasure of data leaves a trail.The absence of data, under
the right circumstances,can leave the clearest trail of all-
Dr. Kio Masada"