Public / Private zones - assistance please

Bruce Schuck bschuck at asgard-systems.com
Thu Mar 2 13:34:14 UTC 2000

I'm having a problem on figuring out setting up DNS to accomodate by
network.

The company until recently has not been on the internet.  But when was
setting up an internal LAN/WAN, I used the private 10.0.0.0 network so
I wouldn't have to worry about renumbering when we finally did connect
to the internet.  And now that time has come.

The internal and external networks are separated by a Cisco 2611
router which will be doing NAT for IPs behind my firewall. One
ethernet interface connects to my private 10. network, the other to
the public subnet. I've had an internal DNS server that was working
perfectly for what I needed it for. All my machines are of course
named ???.mydomain.com.  However I am now adding things like
www.mydomain.com, smtp.mydomain.com, etc.  But a few of the machines
outside the firewall need to be able to resolve the internal machines
for the purpose of forwarding mail and being able to log in from the
internet (ssh to public machine, then telnet (or even ssh again) to
internal machines).

Can I have two DNS servers as primary masters for the .mydomain.com
zone?  The examples in the O'Reilly book use a machine with two
interfaces, so I couldn't see how to apply the info to what I am
trying to do.  Plus, the machine outside the firewall shouldn't
advertise the 10. machines to the outside world.

Bruce S.