Suppressing duplicate notify

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Mar 2 18:13:22 UTC 2000

In article <200003021628.KAA02491 at kesrith.neandertal.org>,
Henri J. Schlereth <henris at neandertal.org> wrote:
>I dont know if I posted this before but here is the question.
>This deals with an internal network. If I put in an NS record
>for the slave server I get the following:
>
>Mar  2 09:59:34 kesrith named[2294]: suppressing duplicate notify
>("neandertal.org" IN SOA)
>
>Removing the NS record makes the message go away. Does this imply that
>the NS records must be for masters only? BTW the named.conf insures that
>the slave gets the notify anyway, so nothing is really broken, I am just
>curious.

No, you have to list slaves in NS records if you want people to query
them.  The master will automatically notify all the servers listed in NS
records, and in addition will notify servers listed in also-notify
statements in named.conf.  If a server is in NS records then you don't need
to include it in also-notify; the message is warning you that it noticed
the redundancy and isn't going to notify the server twice.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com