help! bind sending out packets constantly

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Mar 30 23:27:53 UTC 2000

loundry wrote:

> I am running a version of bind 8 on Linux.  I've noticed strange
> behavior from named in two ways.  I noticed that it would occasionally
> stop answering queries.  I would bounce it a few times to get it to work
> again.  I ran iptraf to see traffic, and I noticed that named was
> sending UDP packets to all the root nameservers and to the two
> nameservers of my ISP constantly.  It wasn't getting any replies, it was
> just sending packets to all of those servers over and over again.
>
> Has anyone seen this behavior?  How do I stop it?

Your nameserver has to be able to query a root zone. If you expect it to be
able to resolve Internet names, then it needs to be able to query the
Internet root zone, so you need to find out why it's not getting responses
to its queries. If it's only internal, then set up an internal root zone.

- Kevin