Address Sorting NOT in V8

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Thu Mar 30 01:04:37 UTC 2000

In article <8bu4ra$4kq$1 at nnrp1.deja.com>,  <craigjca at my-deja.com> wrote:
>Thanks for you help Kevin - but I'm still having trouble.  I looked
>through the distribution from ISC that I have, but can't find anything
>that looks like documentation outside of a few README's and some
>compiling help.  Checked ISC's website and while they do talk about the
>ACL syntax, it doesn't explain what the "22's" are for in your post.

They're standard notation for CIDR address prefixes.  192.168.0.0/22 means
that that it should match the high-order 22 bits of an address against
192.168.0.0.  192.168.0/22 is equivalent -- trailing 0's are implied.  /24
is a class C, /16 is a class B, and other numbers are subnets, supernets,
etc.

>While I was able to get BIND to accept a variant on your example, BIND
>still roundrobins the addresses.

Don't forget that caching servers will do their own round-robin, they don't
preserve the order that the originating server gave out.  Also, you need
the same sorting in slave servers -- it's not transmitted in zone
transfers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com