Reject of W2K gc._msdcs...

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at cospo.osis.gov
Wed Mar 29 23:20:20 UTC 2000

Still catching up on old mail, but this one ran on until recently ...

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 07:04:43PM -0700, Craig Mason wrote:
> Today I tried Mark's suggestion. I added a zone for _msdcs.example.com and
> put in the check-names ignore statement into the config file's info on that
> zone. Killed and restarted named... no effect. Still got the error message
> about rejecting.

Of course you did.  When I tell you why, you will also say,
"Elementary."  ;-)

There is no name with an underscore in it being inserted into zone
"_msdcs.example.com".  So it does not need this statement.

There IS a name with an underscore in it being inserted into zone
"example.com".  So, as you found, it does need this statement.

;-)

Somebody tried to pin this onto another MS bug ... nope.

I don't think you need to declare zone "_msdcs" on your server.  If you
don't, then it will just declare "gc._msdcs" in zone "example.com".
Then again, there is that bug that consolidates parent and child zones,
so maybe it doesn't matter anyway.  ;-/  Perhaps another reason for the
above?

COSPO/OSIS Computer Support					EMT-B