Another Newbie Question.

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Wed Mar 29 22:42:10 UTC 2000

In article <se36o18lead177 at corp.supernews.com>,
DanO <express at fastdial.net> wrote:
>I'm one of those people that if it seems too simple. I worry.
>    So, here goes. I'm getting a SDSL connection for my home office.
>The ISP, Cais, says I can do whatever I want, Web server, dns, even dialup.
>So, they give me 8 static IP's to start, ( up to 32 for free ).
> I currently have 5 domain names registered to my company, and I'm going to
>setup my own name servers for those domains along with the web server.
>    1) How is the control of those IP's passed on to me.

Do you mean reverse DNS control?  See RFC 2317, or pp.214-218 of the
DNS&BIND book.

>    2) I assign the name servers each an IP,
>                     Who registers the servers ?

You do.

>    3) Are the IP's re-registered to me with Arin.

They probably should, but not all ISPs do.  Do a WHOIS query and find out
for sure.

>Is their anything I have to watch for in setting up my own servers? or is it
>as simple as it seems.

It's always seemed simple to me, but judging by the number of people who
ask how to do it in this newsgroup, I'm obviously an exception.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com