10.0.0.0 zone file woes...

a.blount at mbox.com.au a.blount at mbox.com.au
Wed Mar 29 08:42:42 UTC 2000

Greetings,
I'm trying to set up a zone file for reverse DNS (PTR) records for my
internal 10.0.0.0 network. As it's not a massive network and
subnetting of DNS services isn't necessary because everything is
centrally managed, I want to put have a single zone file for the entire
10.0.0.0 network. The network is ~5000 hosts, mostly NT desktops. I
only want DNS entries for NT workgroup servers and a few Exchange
servers.
The network has been subnetted so that a C class will contain a server,
a few desktops and the odd printer or two. There's no logical
splitting into B classes. For this reason delegating C or B classes
out to other DNS servers would be more hassle than anything.
Here is the zone part of my named.conf for this zone:
zone "10.in-addr.arpa" {
type master;
file "db.10.1.1";
};
Here is the start of my zone file in /usr/local/etc/named/, all that
follows this is ~200 PTR records:
10.in-addr.arpa. IN SOA phq1002.police.wa.gov.au.
root.phq1002.police.wa.gov.au. (
2 ; Serial
10800 ; Refresh after 3
hours
3600 ; Retry after 1
hour
604800 ; Expire after 1
week
86400 ) ; Minimun TTL of
1 Day
;
; Name Servers
;
10.in-addr.arpa. IN NS
phq1002.police.wa.gov.au.
10.in-addr.arpa. IN NS
phq1098.police.wa.gov.au.
;
; Addresses that point to canonical names
MANY PTR RECORDS...
I tried adding a $origin at the start of the zone file also and got
this error message, just trying silly things really:
Mar 22 15:34:54 phq1002 named[13835]: db.10.private:1: SOA
for "IN.10.in-addr.arpa" not at zone top "10.in-addr.arpa"
Anyhow, what I'd like to know is what is the right way to set up my
zone file to do this? Without the $origin bit named starts up and will
answer queries for A records (hostname -> IP) but won't answer queries
for PTR records (IP -> hostname).
I have a zone file for the 10.1.1 subnet at the moment which works
fine. When I add the 10.0.0.0 zone I remove that one and named reports
in the syslog that it's removed the 10.1.1-in-addr.arpa zone. When the
new zone doesn't work for reverse DNS I switched back to my old
named.conf file and it said it was removing the 10.in-addr.arpa. zone
so it seems it doesn't mind the zone and that it's syntactically
correct but something is wrong still. Not sure if I need to have a
different SOA record?
Any help appreciated greatly!
Cheers,
Adrian Blount