bind9 & multiprocessing

Jeffrey Cioli jcioli at cisco.com
Tue Mar 28 20:59:34 UTC 2000

hi,

first, thanks for the response. i did try the "-n 2", and i saw
no real difference in performance. i did notice that bind9 is
only using user threads; it's not using any kernel threads.

i have been doing some performance testing. for example, i
have been testing ddns updates on 1, 5 up to 10 zones (1k rrs/zone).
basically, ddns update performance is pretty much the same
between bind8 and bind9. just speculating, but it almost appears that
the zone threads, in bind9, are being serialized. perhaps, kernel
threads would help here. again, i'm just speculating...

i just downloaded b2. i saw performance, using the same tests,
get considerably worse - like 67% worse. note, i tried the same
tests but placing my zonefiles, named.conf and journal files in
/tmp (to eliminate disk io due to the journaling). performance, as
expected, greatly improves, suggesting ddns is io bound - i
suspect due to journaling. b2 and b1 performance is basically the
same for the /tmp test. this causes me to believe that b2 has
incurred greater overhead w/ respect to journaling. what
has changed here???

thanks
jeff