named doing something with Query every hour...

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Tue Mar 28 19:35:29 UTC 2000

In article <00b301bf98d1$e2ba24e0$067d0f0c at laptop.coxnetwork.com>,
Duane Cox <dcox at coxnetwork.com> wrote:
>    I have been graphing my named.stats file and noticed that every hour on
>the hour
>    named does something.. AND I can't explain it.. but here is the info..
>
>    Can somebody explain this??
>
>    It looks like named does something with its queries every hour for some
>reason
>    maybe a refresh or something?  Maybe I am grasping at straws.  The Green
>in the graph
>    is RQ and the Blue line is SNaAns

RQ is *received* queries, which implies that some *other* machine is
sending queries to named, not that named is doing something.

My guess is that you have a mail server configured to process its queue
every hour.  So every hour it goes through its queue of spooled mail,
looking up the MX records of all the destinations, which involves querying
your nameserver.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com