Zone transfer refused

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Tue Mar 28 10:49:08 UTC 2000

    Martijn> Goodmorning, We use Bind 8.2.2 pl5 on Solaris 2.6. We
    Martijn> have it up and running some time now.
    Martijn> Since a few days/weeks it refuses zone transfers from our
    Martijn> main domain. Zone transfers for other domains are not
    Martijn> refused. For a transfer of our main domain I get a
    Martijn> RCODE=REFUSED.

That's because the two name servers for aaa.nl - ns.aaa.nl and
ns.nl.net - are not authoritative for this domain. [I've just tried
them.] You've either misconfigured the master name server for aaa.nl
or else there are errors in the aaa.nl zone file which prevent it from
being loaded. Consult your name server's logs.

    Martijn> Plus I have this sendmail problem for some mailservers,
    Martijn> related to the same problem I think.

Could be. I suppose it's possible these sites won't accept incoming
mail if their name servers are getting non-authoritative answers when
they make forward and reverse lookups for the host/domain that's
sending the mail.