Unknown UDP port opened by bind ?

Barry Margolin barmar at bbnplanet.com
Mon Mar 27 15:17:04 UTC 2000

In article <4.3.2.20000327064542.00c2c360 at mail.ricis.com>,
Gregg Rosenberg  <gregg at ricis.com> wrote:
>What port would you recommend be used instead of UDP 1024, If one chose to
>override the UDP source port of 1024.

The usual reason to override it is because you want a BIND 8 nameserver to
be compatible with a firewall that was configured for BIND 4, which always
uses port 53 as the source.  But if you don't have that constraint, just
leave it alone and let BIND act just like any other UDP client, selecting
an unused port arbitrarily.

Barry Margolin, barmar at bbnplanet.com